Temptations of mall food courts
NEW YORK (WABC) -- As you head to the malls to do your holiday shopping, be careful! There's a lot of damage to be done, and not just to your wallet. Consumer Reports tells us about the dangerous temptations lurking in the food court.
Take a Cinnabon Classic. It's loaded with 880 calories, that's roughly half of what we should be eating for an entire day.
At Starbucks, watch out for the Java Chip Frappuccino with whole milk and whipped cream. A grande has 460 calories and 18 grams of fat!
And at Dunkin Donuts' a muffin might seem harmless, even healthy, but the Blueberry one will set you back 460 calories.
With all those not-so-great choices, there are some ways to steer clear. If you're having a snack, you should just have about 150 calories. Instead of that muffin, how about some caramel corn? Doc Popcorn's version has just 130 calories per cup. A better beverage choice is the Light Banana Berry Smoothie at Jamba Juice. It has 170 calories and no fat at all.
And your cup of lowfat frozen yogurt can become a calorie bomb when you pick toppings such as peanut butter cups, peanuts, and M & M's. Instead opt for strawberries, blueberries, or bananas. They are low in calories and fat-free!
Also be aware that more and more snack stops are offering lower calorie versions of popular items. Remember that Starbucks Frappuccino? The light version, with nonfat milk, has 260 fewer calories.
Next time you visit the food court, navigate carefully so that you don't blow up your diet.
Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports' website.
consumer reports, healthy you, food, consumer news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision 29 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall