Consumer Reports' Top Pick cars of 2014
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Consumer Reports came out Tuesday with its Top Pick cars for 2014.
To find the best of the best, Consumer Reports tested more than 260 cars, drove hundreds of thousands of miles and put them through more than 50 tests.
With acceleration, braking and handling just accounting for a fraction of the tests each car must ace, it's not easy to be named a Consumer Report's Top Pick.
Additionally, each car has to be reliable and safe. Safety is determined using government and industry crash-test results, while reliability ratings come from the consumers themselves.
"Our annual reliability survey gives us data for over a million vehicles. We won't even consider a vehicle for a top pick unless it has at least average reliability," said Jake Fisher of Consumer Reports.
This year's top pickup truck is the Dodge Ram 1500. The new redesign makes this powerful truck feel like a luxury vehicle.
The Subaru Forester is Top Pick for small SUV. It has the best fuel economy in its class, easy to use controls, and a very roomy back seat.
But if you need more room, the Hyundai Santa Fe is the Top Pick Midsized SUV.
"The redesigned Hyundai Santa Fe brought even more room and comfort to an already competitive vehicle," said Fisher.
The Honda Accord four-cylinder is the Top Pick midsized sedan. Reasonably priced at about $23,000, it's really nice to drive and gets 30 miles per gallon overall.
And this year's Top Pick of the Top Picks - the best car overall - is the electric Tesla Model S. It handles beautifully, is loaded with the latest electronic innovations, and it gets the equivalent of 84 miles per gallon.
To round off the top 10 categories - for Top Pick compact car, Consumer Reports named the Subaru Impreza. The Top Pick luxury car is the Audi A6.
The Top Pick Green car - the Toyota Prius. And the Top Pick Minivan - the Honda Odyssey.
Additional information on this year's Consumer Reports 2014 Top Picks is available on its website.
consumer reports, consumer news
- 90-minute delays after LIRR service suspension 6 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians 9 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash...
57 min ago