Cribs recalled over suffocation risk
BROOKLYN -- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Playkids U.S.A. of Brooklyn, is announcing a voluntary recall of about 2,000 convertible cribs.
Officials say the sides of the convertible crib are made of a mesh that expands, creating a gap between the mattress and the side through which an infant can slip. This poses suffocation and entrapment hazards for young children.
CPSC is aware of the death of a 5-month-old child on August 31, 2008 in Brooklyn. The child became entrapped between the mattress and the stationary side rail of the convertible crib and suffocated.
The recall involves the Playkids U.S.A. convertible crib/playpen/bassinet/bed with model number PLK-909. "Playkids U.S.A." can be found on the packaging and on a label sewn into the side of the crib. The model number can be found on the packaging.
The convertible cribs have a drop side rail, a stationary side rail, a canopy assembly and a bassinet. The sides of the convertible crib, the mattress support, the bassinet, the canopy and the bedskirt are covered in fabric and mesh. The fabric and the mesh come in a variety of colors and patterns.
The convertible cribs, which were made in China, were sold in juvenile product retailers in New York from March 2007 through September 2008 for about $100.
Consumers should stop using the recalled convertible cribs immediately and contact Playkids USA to receive a full refund.
For additional information, consumers should contact Playkids USA collect at (718) 797-0302 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Bill King
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos