Cribs recalled over suffocation risk
BROOKLYN -- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Playkids U.S.A. of Brooklyn, is announcing a voluntary recall of about 2,000 convertible cribs.
Officials say the sides of the convertible crib are made of a mesh that expands, creating a gap between the mattress and the side through which an infant can slip. This poses suffocation and entrapment hazards for young children.
CPSC is aware of the death of a 5-month-old child on August 31, 2008 in Brooklyn. The child became entrapped between the mattress and the stationary side rail of the convertible crib and suffocated.
The recall involves the Playkids U.S.A. convertible crib/playpen/bassinet/bed with model number PLK-909. "Playkids U.S.A." can be found on the packaging and on a label sewn into the side of the crib. The model number can be found on the packaging.
The convertible cribs have a drop side rail, a stationary side rail, a canopy assembly and a bassinet. The sides of the convertible crib, the mattress support, the bassinet, the canopy and the bedskirt are covered in fabric and mesh. The fabric and the mesh come in a variety of colors and patterns.
The convertible cribs, which were made in China, were sold in juvenile product retailers in New York from March 2007 through September 2008 for about $100.
Consumers should stop using the recalled convertible cribs immediately and contact Playkids USA to receive a full refund.
For additional information, consumers should contact Playkids USA collect at (718) 797-0302 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Bill King
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 3 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos