Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Eyeglasses
July 16, 2013 -- A new pair of prescription glasses can set you back hundreds and hundreds of dollars, but we found ways you can save BIG on eyewear: as much as 40% off!
If you're in the market for new glasses, like some Consumer Reports' readers, you're probably buying them from a mom-and-pop store. Consumer Reports' survey of nearly 20,000 subscribers finds people who shopped locally are some of the most satisfied.
"Readers gave independent shops and private doctors' offices top marks for the quality of the glasses," says Margot Gilman of Consumer Reports, "but also for customer care and follow-up service."
But they're also among the costliest places to shop. You can save as much as 40% if you know where to shop. You'll get the biggest bang for your buck at Costco. Expect to pay less than $200 for a new pair of glasses and still get above-average quality, service, and staff expertise.
But for a huge selection and low prices, you have to shop online.
"It can be more work," Gilman says. "You have to try the frames on and then find them online, but you can save a bundle."
Two sites to check out FramesDirect.com and Eyeglasses.com. But if service and follow-up care are important to you, you should ask places like Costco, doctors' offices, and independent shops about price matching. It can't hurt to try.
If you have a basic prescription, Consumer Reports says another place to save is a new type of online site that sells its own brand of frames. A basic pair of glasses -- frames and lenses -- can be under $100.
Websites like Warby-Parker.com will even mail you frames to try on at no charge.
lifestyle, 6at4, saving with 6abc, nydia han
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 4 min ago
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving 10 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 1 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Charges expected in fraternity death
4 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
31 min ago