Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Free trials
July 17, 2013 -- Free trial offers are a great way to test out a product without fully committing. But if you've ever signed up for a freebie offer - you may have realized that "free" sometimes comes with strings.
Whether it's a new hair product or a new coffee brand, companies often offer you freebies to get you hooked on their brand.
But while some free trial offers are a cheap and easy way to try something new, sometimes you find yourself owing something once the trial period has ended.
The Federal Trade Commission has these tips to help you avoid paying more than you bargain for:
- Research the company offering the freebie and check out customer reviews.
- Locate the terms and conditions of the free offer. If you can't find them, take a pass.
- Look who's behind the offer. Is the pop-up ad from a different company?
- Be wary of pre-checked boxes. The default may have you paying up even after your trial expires.
- Mark your calendar with the time limit on the offer, especially if it's something like a one-month trial for a service.
- Watch your credit and debit card statements, that way you can make sure you aren't being charged without knowing it.
lifestyle, freebies, saving with 6abc, alicia vitarelli
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- New measles cases confirmed in New York City 45 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Saving with 6abc Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos