Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Savings through haggling
July 23, 2013 -- If you haven't tried negotiating lately, you are missing out on serious savings on all kinds of things.
When Kaitlyn Deane goes shopping, she never pays full price.
"I love to haggle," Deane says. "It's nice to bargain down people on certain things that you want to get for yourself."
"Eighty-nine percent of those who tried haggling for all sorts of goods and services were successful at it," says Tod Marks of Consumer Reports . "Men, well, they enjoyed haggling slightly more than women did, but women were equally as effective when they tried haggling."
Consumer Reports survey found furniture shoppers saved a lot; $300 on average. Doctor and dentist bills also came down $300 when people negotiated. Plus, people who haggled for appliances saved an average of $200. Another area where you should consider negotiating is over bank and credit card fees: Consumer Reports says people who did saved an average of $100.
But you have to speak up!
"Recently, on a shirt I just purchased there was a little stain on it," Deane said. "So I asked them for a percentage off, and they gave me 10% off."
Consumer Reports' shopping whiz Tod Marks has other winning strategies: "The most popular tactic consumers told us that they used to get a discount was to simply tell the salesperson that they're going to check a competitor's prices."
It also helps to find a competitive price before you negotiate.
"The only way you find out what a fair price is, is to check online forums, to check fliers, to check Web versus in-the-store pricesm," Marks says.
But always remember: It pays to be polite.
"You can catch more flies, and discounts, with honey than you can with vinegar!"
lifestyle, saving with 6abc, nydia han
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Saving with 6abc Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos