Saving With 6abc
Saving with 6abc: Savings through haggling
July 23, 2013 -- If you haven't tried negotiating lately, you are missing out on serious savings on all kinds of things.
When Kaitlyn Deane goes shopping, she never pays full price.
"I love to haggle," Deane says. "It's nice to bargain down people on certain things that you want to get for yourself."
"Eighty-nine percent of those who tried haggling for all sorts of goods and services were successful at it," says Tod Marks of Consumer Reports . "Men, well, they enjoyed haggling slightly more than women did, but women were equally as effective when they tried haggling."
Consumer Reports survey found furniture shoppers saved a lot; $300 on average. Doctor and dentist bills also came down $300 when people negotiated. Plus, people who haggled for appliances saved an average of $200. Another area where you should consider negotiating is over bank and credit card fees: Consumer Reports says people who did saved an average of $100.
But you have to speak up!
"Recently, on a shirt I just purchased there was a little stain on it," Deane said. "So I asked them for a percentage off, and they gave me 10% off."
Consumer Reports' shopping whiz Tod Marks has other winning strategies: "The most popular tactic consumers told us that they used to get a discount was to simply tell the salesperson that they're going to check a competitor's prices."
It also helps to find a competitive price before you negotiate.
"The only way you find out what a fair price is, is to check online forums, to check fliers, to check Web versus in-the-store pricesm," Marks says.
But always remember: It pays to be polite.
"You can catch more flies, and discounts, with honey than you can with vinegar!"
lifestyle, saving with 6abc, nydia han
Also SeeStory:Coupon codes: Check here before you checkout
More:Get the Latest Saving with 6abc Tips of the Day
- Gunman dead in shotoing at Colorado high school 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday 8 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- New York City issues snow alert 2 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 20 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says 58 min ago
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday
8 min ago