Job hunting help for college grads
New York (WABC) -- Although unemployment rates are slowly decreasing, it's hard to find a job, especially for recent graduates. However, many job experts say there are ways to get through the door of opportunity despite the struggling economic times.
Sam Wechsler now has his first full-time job since graduating from college last year, but finding it was not easy.
"There was a period of time when I was pretty down on myself about it, but it ended up working out," said Wechsler.
According to figures from the National Association of Colleges and Employers, 76% of college graduates looking for jobs were unemployed when they graduated because jobs are so scarce. However, there are other reasons why some new grads cant find work.
Employment consultant, Leslie Mitler, president and founder of Priority Candidates said, "Most students and recent graduates don't know what they need to do to get prepared. They don't know how to have a good resume, how to have effective interviewing skills, they don't know how to network, and so when they get an interview or a meeting, they just go in and hope for the best."
Kim Bodson found a job after being coached by Mitler on the art of the interview.
"She suggested some interesting things about myself that i should bring up that i hadn't really thought about," said Bodson.
Deborah Carroll, executive recruiter at Head Hunter, believes that all job candidates need to prove that they could be beneficial addition to the company.
"You have to be prepared to answer the ultimate question: why should we hire you? What we're looking for is a strategic thinker, who is deliberate and focused in her job search, or on his job search," she said.
Experts say job seekers should also do their homework on which companies are most likely to be hiring.
jobs, education news, art mcfarland
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013