Benefits of autism centers showcased in NJ
SOMERSET HILLS, NJ (WABC) -- At the Somerset Hills Learning Institute, children with autism get the training and nurturing that they need.
"We're able to magnify the learning process and consequences to help them be successful in learning academic, social, community skills, life skills," teacher Cara Gaffney said.
"I do some math and programmed reading. It's about a story... about stories in programmed reading," student Kyle Juliano, adding he likes it.
Governor Chris Christie has proposed autism centers in each of New Jersey's counties.
When he was a candidate, Christie visited Somerset Hills and met with its executive director, Dr. Kevin Brothers.
"This is a lifeline to a future of independence and productivity. Without this, children with autism will flounder and get worse," Brothers said.
The older children have a workout facility.
"I like doing upper body and lower body," Matthew Smith said. "I'm feeling better."
Educators say the right programs result in a savings for taxpayers.
"In the first 10 years of delivering our services, it cost us about 13 million dollars to deliver our services. In that same period of time, just by graduating students back to their regular education programs, as we did, we saved New Jersey taxpayers over 30 million dollars," Brothers said.
The state's community of autism professionals is now anxious for Governor Christie's proposal to become a reality.
autism, new jersey, chris christie, education news, art mcfarland
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
1 min ago