Tuition at some NYC private schools tops $40,000
RIVERDALE, New York -- With $40,000 you could buy a new Lexus or a foreclosed house in a depressed community. Or you could pay for one year at some of New York City's top private schools.
The Riverdale Country School will charge $40,450 for high school students in the fall, and other schools are not far behind. The Hewitt School will charge $38,000, and Ethical Culture Fieldston will charge $37,825.
Added costs like transportation, books and supplies will bring the total annual tab at several schools up to $40,000.
Tuition costs at New York City's private schools have risen 79 percent in the past decade. Riverdale's head of school, Dominic A.A. Randolph, told The Wall Street Journal he was "perturbed" by the rising costs. But he said Riverdale's parents pay for an "amazing" education.
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
20 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association