Tuition at some NYC private schools tops $40,000
RIVERDALE, New York -- With $40,000 you could buy a new Lexus or a foreclosed house in a depressed community. Or you could pay for one year at some of New York City's top private schools.
The Riverdale Country School will charge $40,450 for high school students in the fall, and other schools are not far behind. The Hewitt School will charge $38,000, and Ethical Culture Fieldston will charge $37,825.
Added costs like transportation, books and supplies will bring the total annual tab at several schools up to $40,000.
Tuition costs at New York City's private schools have risen 79 percent in the past decade. Riverdale's head of school, Dominic A.A. Randolph, told The Wall Street Journal he was "perturbed" by the rising costs. But he said Riverdale's parents pay for an "amazing" education.
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 23 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 21 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
18 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association