Guardian Angel school back in session
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The early morning rain did not dampen the excitement of day one, at the Guardian Angel school.
Predictably, some kids arrived for the first day with mixed feelings.
Guardian Angel is a survivor in the New York Archdiocese. The school celebrates its 100th anniversary this year, surviving a wave of catholic school closings that were due to lower student enrollment.
The archdiocese has closed 30 schools since last school year, with sharp declines in enrollment over several years in the city and upstate; from a high of over 97,000 in 2005-2006, to less than 80,000 last year.
Workers are still repairing another challenge for Guardian Angel. Hurricane Irene had left over three feet of water on the lower level of the Chelsea School, flooding out kindergarten classrooms and the cafeteria.
A trailer outside will be used as temporary classroom space.
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 20 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC 22 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
20 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat...
22 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association