Overcrowding in NYC schools
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The teachers union is troubled over class sizes.
"What we were afraid was going to happen, because of all the budget cuts, our worst fears have now been confirmed," said Michael Mulgrew, Teachers Union President.
As of mid-September, according to the annual teachers' union survey, there were nearly 7,000 general education classes over the union's contract limit on class size. 256,000 students were found to be spending at least part of their school days in overcrowded classrooms.
Most of the problems were at high schools, where the union reports 4,687 oversized classes.
"Something has to stop and it is called, we have to stop cutting the budgets of the schools in New York City," adds Mulgrew.
The Department of Education says: "We are still finalizing our class size reports, but we do expect class sizes to rise modestly as a consequence of nearly $1.7 billion in state and federal budget cuts that have forced us to do more with less. But we believe that getting effective teachers into every classroom is the most important stepping stone to student success, and we will continue to work toward that goal."
Murray Bergtraum is one of the high schools said to have more than a hundred oversized classes, but that may have been corrected today.
The city says it expects class sizes to go down before the point when the union could file for arbitration.
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 10 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary 10 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
47 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association