Students learn money smarts in new program
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Learning how to be financially responsible can be difficult and hard for children to grasp.
Some local students are getting an important lesson with the help of some former NFL players.
"What we want you guys to understand is that you've got to compete in a lot of different ways, guys," Ronnie Lott, a football Hall of Famer said.
Hall of Fame football great Ronnie Lott has become a partner in the financial literacy program called "Winning Plays".
"There are things that maybe they could change that could possibly help them understand that there's a better way to make a decision about the dollar that you are working with," Lott said.
"Winning Plays" was launched last year in two other cities.
The all-male Eagle Academy is its first site in New York.
It was founded by financial journalist and author Stacey Tisdale.
"The fact that we help young people create the emotional, the psychological environment needed to develop healthy attitudes about money that will lead to healthy behaviors has caught people's attention," Tisdale said.
Ms. Tisdale feels that once students imagine their own futures, they will know what they need to learn.
"About 40% of the companies in this country will look at your credit history to determine if they're going to hire you; now they want to learn about credit cards," Tisdale said, "You have to make it relevant and that's what 'Winning Plays' is all about."
"With this course, it can show us the ropes, so to speak, on how to manage our money and become successful people when it comes to the economy," said Osmashola Oroye, an Eagle Academy student.
The Financial Literacy class will be held throughout this school year at Eagle Academy, starting with the senior class, with plans to teach each successive year of students how to make smart financial decisions.
money, education news, art mcfarland
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach 21 min ago
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat 19 min ago
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 12 min ago
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Secret Service investigating Target data...
21 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
21 min ago
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian...
19 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos