NYC lays off hundreds of school employees
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City Council has called a hearing for next Tuesday on the layoffs today that are sweeping hundreds of employees out of city schools.
More than seven hundred people are getting laid off.
That's the largest number of city workers laid off at one time since Mayor Michael Bloomberg took office.
The city is dismissing aides, parent coordinators and other support staff in many of the city's porrest neighborhoods in an attempt to save 35-million dollars.
Pink slips were handed out two weeks ago.
The city said the layoffs could have been avoided during negotiations with several unions in the spring. Unions said members could take furloughs or work fewer hours, but the city rejected the offer, saying it would disrupt schools.
new york city, new york city school, layoff, michael bloomberg, education news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos