Getting students back on track in Harlem
HARLEM (WABC) -- Students pay attention at the Harlem Prep charter school.
Until this school year, in these same classrooms, learning was not so easy in what used to be the Harlem Day charter school".
The name has been changed, and the school is now led by the successful Democracy Prep charter schools, which now operates four charters in Harlem.
Seventy percent of the 273 students were enrolled at Harlem Day.
After the approvals were in order and the Democracy Prep administrators came in to this building and tested the students that were here, it was determined that 60 per cent of the Harlem Day students needed to repeat a grade.
Scholars, as all the students are called, read at least 180 minutes a day.
"The heart of the message to our families was that this was going to be hard and different, and that we expected all of their kids to go to college," Katie Duffy, interim executive director, said.
The school day and the school year are much longer.
"This is an opportunity to show that it's not the scholars that were failing here. It's the school that was failing here, and that if we change the right factors, we can actually get every single scholar who was failing in the former school to be a success in the new school," Seth Andrew said.
harlem, new york city, charter school, education news, art mcfarland
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China 30 min ago
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 40 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing 54 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
4 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association