The trading floor classroom
NEW ROCHELLE (WABC) -- The idea is to make Iona College students, studying the financial markets, feel as though they are learning on Wall Street.
"It's just to expose us to what the real tools out there, because this is what they use." Michael Yasko said.
A generous donation from alumni business leaders led to the new trading floor.
"It's not just a trading floor. It's a huge depository of business information," Vincent Calluzzo, the business school dean, said.
It is classroom, but it includes everything from the stock ticker to the big board to the latest business news.
The students also have a virtual fund to manage, allowing them to practice investing while they track the progress of their "virtual" money.
"It's great. I mean, it's pretty incredible that we can have the same stuff that real traders have down on Wall Street that a lot of schools, even around here, don't actually have access to," Kyle Kelan said.
The realistic training is expected to give students an edge if they decide to pursue jobs on Wall Street, but they could also face criticism from the Occupy Wall Street movement.
"I have a goal. I want to satisfy that goal, and if I want to work on Wall Street, I have my right to work on Wall Street," student Jacob Mineo said.
The trading floor is part of a planned Center for Financial Market Studies to support Iona's post graduate programs, and it will also be used in more undergraduate courses.
new rochelle, iona college, wall street, education news, art mcfarland
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance 28 min ago
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade 59 min ago
- Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade
59 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association