High school cracks down on students on Facebook
CROWN HEIGHTS (WABC) -- A school in Brooklyn is cracking down on students who have Facebook pages.
The girls attend a Jewish school and its head rabbi says it's immodest for the girls to have the pages.
"I see nothing wrong with it," said Naomi Schleifer, Crown Heights resident.
On every street corner in Crown Heights, there's an opinion, and it's the same opinion.
"Sometimes, with high school girls they don't necessarily have the best judgment and it's hard for them to decide for themselves," said Chana Milecki, Crown Heights resident.
The Beth Rivkah Girls School is giving its students an ultimatum.
The school is ordering them to cancel their Facebook accounts or face expulsion.
"They knew it was a rule and that's it," said Benzion Stock, Beth Rivkah Lubavich Schools.
The school's administrator says he collected a $100 deposit from the family of every child with a Facebook account.
It's refundable, providing they don't return to Facebook for the rest of the semester.
"We want them to be in the real world with real friends, it's not the real world," Stock said.
Mendy Lipskar says his daughters were fine with it.
"Not a problem, they cooperated with whatever the rules were," Lipskar said.
"They might not understand now, but later they will understand the importance of boundaries and setting limits," said Yonathan Maisel, Crown Heights resident.
Teenagers told us that the rule is really intended to keep boys and girls apart and is not likely to work.
"If guys and girls want to fool around they get numbers and do it direct, they don't need to go through Facebook," one teen said.
"We feel it's important it's very important for their education and their social life not to have Facebook," Stock said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
brooklyn, crown heights, facebook, education news, n.j. burkett
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 21 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 18 min ago
- Missing jet drastically veered off course 15 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
18 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos