High school cracks down on students on Facebook
CROWN HEIGHTS (WABC) -- A school in Brooklyn is cracking down on students who have Facebook pages.
The girls attend a Jewish school and its head rabbi says it's immodest for the girls to have the pages.
"I see nothing wrong with it," said Naomi Schleifer, Crown Heights resident.
On every street corner in Crown Heights, there's an opinion, and it's the same opinion.
"Sometimes, with high school girls they don't necessarily have the best judgment and it's hard for them to decide for themselves," said Chana Milecki, Crown Heights resident.
The Beth Rivkah Girls School is giving its students an ultimatum.
The school is ordering them to cancel their Facebook accounts or face expulsion.
"They knew it was a rule and that's it," said Benzion Stock, Beth Rivkah Lubavich Schools.
The school's administrator says he collected a $100 deposit from the family of every child with a Facebook account.
It's refundable, providing they don't return to Facebook for the rest of the semester.
"We want them to be in the real world with real friends, it's not the real world," Stock said.
Mendy Lipskar says his daughters were fine with it.
"Not a problem, they cooperated with whatever the rules were," Lipskar said.
"They might not understand now, but later they will understand the importance of boundaries and setting limits," said Yonathan Maisel, Crown Heights resident.
Teenagers told us that the rule is really intended to keep boys and girls apart and is not likely to work.
"If guys and girls want to fool around they get numbers and do it direct, they don't need to go through Facebook," one teen said.
"We feel it's important it's very important for their education and their social life not to have Facebook," Stock said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
brooklyn, crown heights, facebook, education news, n.j. burkett
- 2 killed in Queens motorcycle accident 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather 48 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
45 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association