New York admits errors on standardized math tests
NEW YORK -- New York state education officials are admitting that two questions on this week's standardized math tests don't add up.
The state's third- through eighth-graders have three days of math tests starting Wednesday. That's after three days of English tests last week.
But the state Education Department told principals Monday that one question on the fourth grade math test has two right answers and one question on the eighth grade test has no right answer.
Department spokesman Tom Dunn says the errors are just typos and the questions will not count.
But critics of standardized testing say the test developers should be held accountable for their mistakes - just as students are.
Complaints about last week's eighth grade English test forced the state to pull multiple-choice questions about a talking pineapple
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting 58 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench 47 min ago
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico 36 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled 26 min ago
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food 15 min ago
- House passes far-reaching anti-abortion bill 30 min ago
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake 41 min ago
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Box cutter found on Tokyo flight to NYC
- Photos: FDNY works to rescue man trapped in trench
- Photos: Most Wanted: Nassau County
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens...
47 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association