Panel votes to close 24 failing New York City schools
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's official - 24 New York City public schools will be closed or overhauled.
Despite an emotional plea from parents, an education panel voted around midnight to close schools in four different boroughs.
The only borough that was unscathed was Staten Island, and two schools were saved ahead of the vote. The decision to keep Grover Cleveland High School and Bushwick Community High School open came just hours before the contentious meeting.
In a statement, Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott said the two high schools "demonstrated an ability to continue their improvements without the more comprehensive actions that are clearly needed at 24 other schools."
The Panel for Educational Policy voted to close the schools due to poor performance, and 1,000 teachers could be displaced.
The city plans to re-open the schools in the fall with the same students, but with new names, new teachers and new administrators.
The meeting leading up to the vote was packed with a fury and disgust that never ebbed.
"It is you who are failing tonight and it's the mayor who has failed for the past 10 years," City Councilman Jumaane Williams said.
Among the speakers was 17 year old Lehman High School student Melvin Hydleburg.
"We are simply your lab rats," Hydleburg said. "You are experimenting with our education."
Parents, teachers and students denounced the closures at the meeting, which lasted more than five hours. One woman accused the panel of using the shutdowns to break the teachers union.
"This is union busting, pure and simple," teacher Megan Behrent said. "And in the process, it is the students who will get left behind."
Walcott says that's not it at all.
"All of this is about making sure our students get a high-quality education," he said. "And taking a look at the closing and making sure the schools benefit in the long run."
Here is the full list of schools that are closing:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, school closing, education news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 38 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 32 min ago
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 4 min ago
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 14 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing Muslim girl 2 min ago
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos