Students watch movie while principal's son tutored
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A principal in Queens was fined after investigators say she cancelled an 8th grade math class and had students watch a movie so a teacher could tutor her own son instead.
Parents are stunned and outraged.
Most parents at PS 105 told us that they had not heard about the infraction committed by their Principal.
Laurie Shapiro is a veteran principal in the city, who has admitted to making the costly mistake.
In November, 2010, she sent a grade school math class to join other students who were watching a movie, while the math teacher of that class tutored Ms. Shapiro's college-age son.
Shortly after the incident, an anonymous female caller alerted the office of the special investigator for the New York City School district.
A quick investigation confirmed the infraction and referred the case to the conflict of interest board.
After an obviously long settlement process, Ms. Shapiro was fined $2,000.
There have been no prior investigations of Ms. Shapiro and it seems she is well respected among some of the parents.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, new york city school, education news, art mcfarland
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers