Chancellor Walcott pushes buyout plan for teachers
NEW YORK -- New York City Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott is proposing to offer buyouts to hundreds of teachers who don't have permanent jobs.
In a speech to business and civic leaders Wednesday, Walcott also said he won't wait for the teachers union to agree on a new evaluation system for its members.
Walcott said that if there's no agreement by next fall, he will start removing teachers from classrooms after two years of bad ratings.
He said teachers who've been poorly rated two years in a row don't deserve to be in front of students.
The United Federation of Teachers responded that the school system has always had the ability to bring teachers up on disciplinary charges.
Walcott's proposals would have to be negotiated with the union.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city school, dennis walcott, teacher, education news
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 3 min ago
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 5 min ago
- Photos: Family escapes Yonkers fire 7 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 53 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake'
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion 17 min ago
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
21 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association