Stuyvestant High School cracks top 10 on best schools list
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One of New York City's high schools ranks among the tops in the nation.
Stuyvesant High School in Manhattan ranked number eight on U.S. News and World Report's list of the country's best science and math high schools.
Schools specializing in science, technology, engineering and math, sometimes called STEM schools, are ranked based on how many advanced placement exams their students take and pass in those subjects.
Other New York City schools made the list include Manhattan's High School for Dual Language and Asian Studies (No. 34), Staten Island Technical High School (No. 46), the Bronx High School of Science (No. 112) and Queens High School for the Sciences at York College (No. 139).
High Technology High School in Lincroft, New Jersey, ranked No.1, while Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria, Virginia, came in second.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Suspect in custody in Queens bus shooting 7 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Top Pictures of the Week
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association