Tutoring using a computer
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Tutors on your computers When you ask eight-year -old T'Darius Reed about his favorite subject in school, he will tell you science.
But it was his least favorite subject that got him to the woman on the other side of a computer screen. That woman is Miss Lillian Bittaye.
"From being in the classroom, I found that there were children who still weren't meeting the standards and could use some extra help," she said.
That extra help came in the form of a webcam, allowing her to tutor via computer.
"It's fascinating to them when they realize it. It's like they're on TV to them," she said.
Bittaye's teaching software is herself. During the one hour lesson, she helps with everything from math to reading.
According to the Center on Education Policy, 48 percent of the nation's 100-thousand public schools were labeled as failing year.
"We gotta find other ways, better ways, different ways of being able to continue to capture their interest and to keep them learning," Bittaye said.
With the help of sponsors, she's able to buy and install webcams for students that can't afford them.
"I truly believe that no child should be left behind but if we don't get behind them and keep pushing, we are going to lose a whole lot of them," she said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
education news, ken rosato
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
56 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos