Teens facing more job competition with adults
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Being a part of orientation for a summer youth program is good news for those getting paid for their participation, but for Adrianna, the news is not so good.
Adrianna says she has not found a job, after looking in a lot of places.
Adrianna and the unpaid interns in the group are among thousands of young people in the city, and thousands more across the nation who are unable to find summer jobs. In the past, the not-for-profit group called "Make the Road", has been able to do more hiring.
The nationwide summer unemployment rate for teens is 23.7 percent. In New York City, it is much worse at 35.6 percent.
Michael Saltsman of the Employment Policy Institute says employers are hiring for more experienced work.
Summer jobs that once went to teenagers, for example, in fast food restaurants or in retail stores, are now going to out-of-work adults.
Britanny says he was competing for jobs with older members of her own family. She says her mother, brother and sister were all going for the same jobs.
Experts suggest it is still valuable to gather unpaid job experience. Saltsman says volunteer job experience can help in the future.
Teens that spoke to Eyewitness News agreed that volunteer and internship credit can be good, but they say a few summer paychecks would be a big help.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
job, job hunting, education news, art mcfarland
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx 50 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Dave Jennings, former Giants punter, dies 1 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in Nassau County
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Strollers recalled due to wheel blowouts , Kolcraft says
- Slim Whitman, country singer, dies
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
29 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos