Reading finds a place at camp
NEW YORK (WABC) -- You would expect kids at a sleepaway camp to play or even do rope climbing, but group reading?
"My favorite types of books are mysteries or adventures and sometimes, just sometimes maybe, I like reading kids' books from the past to my little brothers," camper Vanesa Argueta said.
Now you might think that at a sleepaway camp, there wouldn't be much time for anything academic, but the issue of what's come to be known as summer learning loss has changed everything, and these kids don't seem to mind reading books at camp.
"So it's good to read and it's good to do things you would do at school, so when September comes, you're not lost," camper Eloisa Mateo said.
The books are provided by the Scholastic Publishing Company.
"Scholastic has been building programs that are focused on family and community engagement, working beyond the school day to insure that kids have access to what they read over the summer, particularly to continue to learn and grow," Greg Worrell of Scholastic said.
Researchers say kids who have no access to home libraries or to adults who read with them are especially at risk for learning loss.
"I think what the American Camping Association has started with the Explore 30 program has made camps aware that they have the ability to make a difference," camp director Sandy Friedman said.
For more information about Explore 30, please visit the American Camping Association.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
summer camp, camp, reading, education news, art mcfarland
- LIRR train derails in East River tunnel
- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Storm
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Victim of attempted robbery falls out window
- Suspect shot and killed in Newark robbery attempt
- Teacher suspended after alleged sending threatening voicemail
- Passenger arrested after incident on Newark-bound flight
- LI 7-Eleven owners accused of human smuggling
- NYC plans composting program to recycle food scraps
- abcnews: Murnaghans Face Backlash After Sarah's Lung...
- Actor Jeff Garlin won't face vandalism charges in LA
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos