School in Queens to serve 'brunch'
AUBURNDALE (WABC) -- The thought of having lunch, or as the principal of IS25 calls it "brunch," at 9:45 in the morning is not going over well.
In a letter sent home to parents, Principal Mary Ellen Beirne spelled things out.
There will now be three lunch periods in order to "reduce the over-crowded cafeteria of 400 plus students."
The changes will effect 8th graders and she says since they "are the students who rarely eat breakfast, this will prove to be a good move".
There's only one cafeteria at the school. Last year IS25 had to share one of its two lunch slots, with high school students, who are also housed in the building. Official says it was simply too many people, in too little space.
Parents hope to come up with a solution. Lorraine Kosnar, president of the PTS's in District 25, says the kids will be going too long without food.
"Trying to figure out a way to get, maybe some kind of bag lunch sent to them - some kind of something for these kids during the middle of the day, when they are starting to crash cause they're hungry," Kosnar.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
school lunches, queens, education news, kemberly richardson
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 31 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Man dies in scuffle with police outside Bronx bodega 18 min ago
- Woman thrown from motorcycle, hit by cab 11 min ago
- 3 slashed during disupte in Morningside Heights 5 min ago
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years 31 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos