Parents complain about long school bus service in NYC
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A number of parents in New York City are upset by what they claim are the ongoing school bus horror stories their children have endured since the start of the school year.
And now they are demanding the city do something about it.
Parents whose children ride buses to school had a long list of complaints; especially parents who have children with disabilities.
"My son is 3 years old, he attends Cusack, and he was on a bus on September 12th for 4 and a half hours," said Jazmine Tavarez.
Each school year brings needed adjustments for school bus schedules, but some parents say this year has been a disaster.
"My son, right now this year, is in school an hour to an hour and a half late every single day," said Carin Vanderdonk.
Beth Torin says school bus lateness costs valuable instruction for her daughter.
"So she's missing her first class and she has a learning disability, so she needs to be there so she can learn," she said.
Parents are also concerned about staffing and training of school bus personnel, and about safety issues, especially for wheelchair bound kids.
Johnnie Stevens and his son, Kwami confirm bus lateness is nothing new.
"Sometimes I get a headache because I was on the bus for so long," he said.
Queens city council member Elizabeth Crowley says the families are being shortchanged.
"It's because the DOE wants to save money and they don't provide enough school buses to the children of the city of New York," she said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
education news, art mcfarland
- Bratton joins Sharpton at rally in Harlem
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Funeral for one of victims of Metro-North derailment
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Wintry blast moves through much of country, heads East
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 21 min ago
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary 22 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association