New Providence HS named best school in NJ
NEW PROVIDENCE, N.J. (WABC) -- A recent survey ranked New Providence High School the number one school in New Jersey.
"We work so hard here and the teachers work so hard that it's really great that it's paid off," said Kathryn Meyers, a student.
In a survey, done every other year by New Jersey Monthly Magazine, New Providence was rated tops in the state.
New Jersey has a long-standing reputation for having a number of really good high schools, so to be rated number one is quite an achievement, and the New Jersey Monthly rankings are based on a lot of information.
"All the data comes from the state, from the Department of Education, and the Department of Education gets the data from the schools and from the testing services," said Ken Schlager, of New Jersey Monthly Magazine.
The rankings for the more than 300 state high schools are determined by graduation rates, school environment, and standardized test scores.
"We teach skills and we want kids to be critical thinkers. If you have that skill, you will do well on any test," said Paul Casarico, Principal of New Providence High School.
Students in advanced placement American History are expected to discuss topics.
"It's not so much about memorizing the people and the places and the dates, but learning how to think like a historian and analyze some really complicated issues in the past," said Stephanie Hornstein, a teacher.
The students also get to be well rounded.
"We are able to participate in sports, in musical activities, in the fine arts and different clubs," said Catherine Canete, a student.
"So I think once you build that culture where students want to be here, then it permeates itself into the classroom," Casarico said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, education news, art mcfarland
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury 39 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys 16 min ago
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court 26 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 49 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos