Job hunting for college students
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In most of the nation, unemployment is high, even among people with college degrees.
Pam Wexler, a 2012 college grad, now a junior accountant at Ernst and Young, made sure she did not join the ranks of the unemployed.
"I started in my sophomore year, I had an internship my junior year, at the end of that summer, I knew I had a job," Wexler said.
Dan Black, a recruiter for Ernst and Young, is also on the board of the National Association of Colleges and Employers( NACE) which tracks the job market.
"The economy, over the last few years, has produced countless stories of college grads pounding the pavement in vain, looking for work, only to be forced to move back home with their parents. But National Watchdog group says things have improved and there is hope on the horizon," Black explained.
The top ten bachelor's degrees in demand include finance, computer science, business and engineering.
"I'm going to hire 6,000 college students in the United States this year alone, and 95 per cent of them will be business grads," Black said.
Job hunting time is now and you shouldn't wait the semester of graduation to start looking for a job. The more time you wait, the fewer opportunities there will be.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
education news, art mcfarland
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 55 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn 58 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday 36 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid 21 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in...
58 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos