Job hunting for college students
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In most of the nation, unemployment is high, even among people with college degrees.
Pam Wexler, a 2012 college grad, now a junior accountant at Ernst and Young, made sure she did not join the ranks of the unemployed.
"I started in my sophomore year, I had an internship my junior year, at the end of that summer, I knew I had a job," Wexler said.
Dan Black, a recruiter for Ernst and Young, is also on the board of the National Association of Colleges and Employers( NACE) which tracks the job market.
"The economy, over the last few years, has produced countless stories of college grads pounding the pavement in vain, looking for work, only to be forced to move back home with their parents. But National Watchdog group says things have improved and there is hope on the horizon," Black explained.
The top ten bachelor's degrees in demand include finance, computer science, business and engineering.
"I'm going to hire 6,000 college students in the United States this year alone, and 95 per cent of them will be business grads," Black said.
Job hunting time is now and you shouldn't wait the semester of graduation to start looking for a job. The more time you wait, the fewer opportunities there will be.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
education news, art mcfarland
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 1 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
1 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association