Students using technology in the classroom
MOTT HAVEN (WABC) -- Their lives already revolved around tablets, Nooks and other devices, so having more technology at school was a natural.
Sixth graders at the Bronx Academy of Promise charter school are working on a number of projects using tech devices.
Studies have shown that technology can contribute to student achievement. Educators here say their school has confirmed those studies.
"Since using more tech, they went from an "F" school to an "A" school," teacher Tammi Ann Trudel said.
Many of the students are entering a national contest, the Verizon Innovative App Challenge, to potentially win $10,000 for their school. Not only are the students learning about techonology, but their idea must also address a need or problem in their school or community.
A national survey has led the Not-For-Profit Technology Student Association to conclude that more technology should be used in schools.
"Technology is going to be forever changing, they're going to want more and more of it, and it needs to be more and more integrated into their world," Dr. Rosanne White, Student Technology Association, said.
For more information on the Verizon Foundation's Innovative App Challenge, visit www.verizonfoundation.org/appchallenge.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
apps, ipad, iphone, bronx, mott haven, education news, art mcfarland
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens 39 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade 24 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian...
39 min ago
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
41 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association