Families still struggling to deal with bus strike
NEW YORK (WABC) -- For students and their families who depend on busing, the strike is still a struggle.
"They need to come to the table, talk, compromise, but they really need to just be driving," said parent Laurie Rinaldi. Some students in wheelchairs are now getting to the P-10X Special Education school after staff members arranged for Access-A-Rode or car services. Some staffers even bring kids to school themselves.
"The staff really have stepped up their game and really made phone calls and contacts to get the students in because we're worried about our kids," said Principal Barbara Hanson.
Devon Davis had adjustment issues on his first day at school since the strike began. The six-year-old has autism and severe physical challenges.
"It's been hard, because we're stuck in the house all the time because of Devon's disabilities," said parent Tamika Davis.
Citywide, attendance is up since the strike began but in the smaller percentage of absentees, it means half of this class is missing.
The strike has hurt outside activities. A performance for school kids of "The Mask of Zorro" at The New Victory Theater would not have happened Thursday without a new fundraising drive for private busing.
Meanwhile Devon and his Mom got a ride, but there are no guarantees for the days ahead.
There is still no sign of when the school bus strike will end.
CLICK HERE to visit the New Victory Theater site. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
education news, art mcfarland
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Suspect questioned after body found in container 43 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58 23 min ago
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
51 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos