Company hired to manage student information
(DATELINE) (WABC) -- Private information about students is being given to a company and this information is more than just names and addresses.
Some of the information also includes students' grades and even their discipline history, and that has some parents worried.
Lots of parents told Eyewitness News that they had no idea that starting next fall the New York State Department of Education will use a private company to store student records.
The state has contracted with InBloom, a third party agency, to manage grades, tests scores, disciplinary records, everything.
It says the goal is for teachers, students and parents to analyze it, hoping to improve the educational experience.
"When the state says send the data, we are creatures of the state, we have to follow the law we will do that," Mayor Bloomberg said.
At issue is privacy.
"They are required to keep it private, but that's now," said David Bloomfield, Education Law Professor.
The state addresses these concerns on its website saying, "The protection of student privacy is and will remain the priority throughout the development and implementation of the Education Data Portal."
But that's not enough for opponents and now there's a growing movement to block it.
student, new york city, education news, art mcfarland
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos