Elementary school goes vegetarian at lunch
FLUSHING, Queens (WABC) -- It was a first in the country and it happened right in New York City.
There is the first vegetarian cafeteria at a public elementary school.
It happened at P.S. 224, the Active Learning Elementary School in Flushing, Queens.
The all vegetarian lunch menu made history.
"It makes me nutritious and want to tell my family which makes me more nutritious," said Moniza Mujtaba, a P.S. 224 student.
The rollout of the new menu at P.S. 224 establishes the school's own identity for healthier school lunches.
"We were watching what the students were eating, it was a natural match for us," said Bob Groff, P.S. 224 principal.
They called Tuesday's menu "Fiesta time". It included black bean and cheddar quesadillas with salsa, red roasted potatoes, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, fruit, and assorted milk.
"This menu here, in this school, is in the vanguard, that we want to offer kids," Jorge Collazo, DOE Executive Chef.
After all the introductions of the menu, it was time to chow down.
As for the idea that other city schools could go vegetarian?
"It's something that's school generated. It all involves healthy eating," Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott said.
flushing, queens, student, school lunches, food, education news, art mcfarland
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 21 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick 38 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event 51 min ago
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday 40 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
54 min ago
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos