Many seniors still waiting for Regents results
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It was graduation rehearsal day for seniors of Vanguard High School. But not all of the seniors are sure they will actually graduate.
Christian Castro is one of thousands of seniors in the city whose scores on the all-important Regents exams have not yet been tabulated.
"I feel very frustrated," says Castro, "It's also to my parents, because they're trying to plan a graduation party."
Unlike past Regents exams, this year's scoring relies heavily on computer technology and scanning.
"For a few days we have been waiting for exams to come in," said teacher Gregg Lundhal.
Lundhal and some 250 other teachers are hired to score the exams, but teachers are not allowed to score the exams of their own students.
Principals have been told that seniors whose scores are not yet recorded can participate in ceremonies but with no guarantees. Vanguard Principal William Klann says he expected test-scoring problems.
"You know, we had some questions about what the process was," adds Klann.
Cesar Olivera joined classmates in getting his cap and gown, but he does not know whether he passed his English Regents.
"It's hard, it's nerve wracking," says Olivera.
Efforts to catch up on the test scoring is set to continue into the weekend.
regents exam, graduation, education news, art mcfarland
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association