Born this way? Lady Gaga meets Thai 'lady boys'
BANGKOK (AP) - May 25, 2012 -- Lady Gaga has met Thailand's premier "lady boys" at a Bangkok drag show featuring busty dancers who were not born that way.
Diving in to the city's nightlife, the pop diva and an entourage from her "Born This Way Ball" took in a show at the well-known Calypso Cabaret, where she cheered on a transvestite review of Broadway show tunes.
"A million people have to pay to see a Gaga concert, but Gaga paid to see our show!" cabaret manager Nipon Boonmasuwan told Friday's Thairath newspaper. When the performance ended, she took the stage to shake hands with the dancers and handed out six tickets to her Friday night show.
Born This Way, the title track of Lady Gaga's latest album, has become a gay anthem. It includes the line, "Don't be a drag, just be a queen." Transvestites and transsexuals are known in Thailand as lady boys.
Promoters confirmed Lady Gaga visited the cabaret Wednesday night, just hours after her arrival in Bangkok.
Lady Gaga's Asian tour has generated publicity and often controversy at nearly every stop.
In Seoul, fans younger than 18 were banned from Lady Gaga's concerts after Christian groups complained that her lyrics and costumes were too sexually provocative.
It remains unclear if her June 3 show in Jakarta will take place after Muslim hard-liners threatened violence. Indonesian police initially denied a permit but later hinted the show could go on if she tones it down.
Not a chance, said her manager Troy Carter, who told the Straits Times in Singapore on Friday that Lady Gaga "plays the show as it is" and has no plan to self-censor.
lady gaga, thailand, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos