Christie among 2012's most fascinating
NEW YORK -- Chris Christie, New Jersey's bombastic governor, found himself literally in the eye of the storm when two of this year's biggest news stories -- the presidential election and superstorm Sandy -- collided.
Tune in for "Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2012" on Channel 7 tonight at 9:30 p.m.
Christie's unique role in both of those events along with his outsized personality earned him a spot on Barbara Walter's list of the 10 most fascinating people of 2012.
Courted to run for president, Christie instead became an early and vocal supporter of Republican nominee Mitt Romney. That support, however, came under fire when fans-turned-critics accused him of costing Romney the election by praising President Obama's leadership in the aftermath of the storm.
"First of all, I didn't help [Obama] win," Christie told Barbara Walters. "I was doing my job."
"The fact of the matter is President Obama won the election pretty comfortably& I was doing my job as I saw fit to do it. And I told the truth, like I always do. The president did step up and help tremendously in New Jersey."
Tonight's Barbara Walters special will also feature the woman behind the literary phenomenon Fifty Shades of Grey, writer EL James; Olympic Gold medalist Gabby Douglas; Academy Award-winning actor/director/writer Ben Affleck; One of the most famous women in politics, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton; The British boyband sensation One Direction; 2013 Oscars host and creator of television cult classic "Family Guy" Seth MacFarlane.
The Number One Most Fascinating Person of 2012 will be announced on the program tonight at 9:30 on Channel 7.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
chris christie, barbara walters, entertainment
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
49 min ago
WABC Entertainment Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos