'Phantom of the Opera' star discusses hit Broadway musical
NEW YORK -- "The Phantom of the Opera" is celebrating a record-breaking 25 years on Broadway, longer than any other musical.
Andrew Lloyd Webber's hit has run for over 10,00 shows, with some of the most memorable songs on the Great White Way.
Joining us on Eyewitness News Saturday morning to discuss the show's success was Kyle Barisich, who plays 'Raoul', the love interest of leading lady 'Christine'.
'The Phantom of the Opera' became the longest-running show in Broadway history on January 9, 2006 with its 7,486th performance (surpassing the previous record-holder 'Cats', also by Andrew Lloyd Webber.)
Since breaking that record, 'Phantom' has played both an additional 7 years and nearly 3,000 performances - which by itself would be a smash hit run for a Broadway musical.
On Broadway, since its debut on January 26, 1988, 'Phantom' has grossed over $888 million.
Total attendance is now over 15 million and the show continues to run with no end in sight.
With the nominee announcements released, Oscar.com is inviting the public to play My Picks, an interactive and social Oscar ballot that allows users to pick who they think will win the Oscar in each award category. Fans can see the nominees their Facebook friends have picked to win. During the Oscar telecast, users will be able to compete with their friends to see who made the most accurate picks. The My Picks experience will live on the Oscars.com, the Oscars App, Facebook, ABCNews.com, OTRC.com and gma.yahoo.com." CLICK HERE to play My Picks right now!
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
entertainment, phil lipof
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 37 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx 37 min ago
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC botique 12 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
55 min ago