The Incredible Burt Wonderstone and The Call - Movie Reviews
NEW YORK (WABC) -- "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" is an all too ordinary comedy with too few laughs that manages to waste the talents of Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi playing 2 magicians who found a common bond as kids.
Three decades later they maintain the illusion of friendship, but Burt has grown arrogant with success in Las Vegas and seems to fulfill the prophecy of a childhood bully.
You won't like him either and that's why this movie fails. Steve Carell has built a fine career out of playing losers who are likeable, even loveable, but this time his sweet charm has gone sour.
If he's sleazy, then Jim Carrey is just weird as a rival magician given to extreme stunts: a turn that has "flop sweat" written all over it.
The phoniest part of the movie is towards the end when Carell's loathsome character turns all warm 'n fuzzy and even Alan Arkin as an elderly magician and Olivia Wilde as an assistant can't save the less than wonderful Wonderstone.
Halle Berry's operator does her best to save Abigail Breslin who plays a kidnap victim held captive in the trunk of a stolen car .
This taut and terrific thriller is not for those who suffer from claustrophobia, but the rest of you will be on the edge of your seats before The Call descends into melodrama for the finale.
The end may not be worthy of the rest of the movie, but getting there is exciting you won't really care and her last line will leave you cheering. The Call doesn't waste a second so it's well worth an hour and a half of your time.
movie, movie review, entertainment, sandy kenyon
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 26 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday