Lil Wayne and sizzurp
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Even those who normally do not follow Grammy award-wining hip hop artist Lil Wayne, have been drawn into his world.
The 30-year old remains in the hospital after having a severe seizure on Friday.
He's had them before and hasn't shied away from talking about his condition, like quote during this interview from 2012.
"It's super-hot in here, man. I don't want y'all to think I'm on nothing... Just seizure medicine, man. That's all," he said.
Case closed? Many say no.
According to TMZ, Wayne's recent medical scare may have stemmed from going on a sizzurp binge because doctors found high amounts of codeine in his system.
The star has been vocal about his struggles with the purple drink, which is a potentially lethal concoction of prescription strength cough syrup laced with codeine, soda or sometimes vodka and crushed up jolly ranchers, for taste and color.
Lil Wayne once said giving up sizzurp "feels like death in your stomach."
Also called Texas Tea, it was popularized in the 1990's by a music producer who ultimately died from an overdose of the drug.
Still, experts point out the drink is openly consumed without a second thought.
The 30-year-old New Orleans native, whose given name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., is due to release his 10th album, "I Am Not a Human Being," on March 26.
entertainment, kemberly richardson
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
WABC Entertainment Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos