Reviews: 'The Host', 'Temptation', 'G.I. Joe'
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Several new movies open this weekend in theaters.
One is from Tyler Perry and another is based on a book by the "Twilight" series author.
Once in awhile it happens: a movie that most critics hate, Eyewitness News' Sandy Kenyon likes, and such is the case with a film called "The Host".
It's from the mind of Stephanie Meyer who wrote the "Twilight" books and it stars a 19-year-old star of tomorrow who was born in the Bronx but grew up in Ireland.
She's the best young actress you may not know with an Irish name that's easy to mispronounce but Saoirse Ronan makes "The Host" well worth watching.
The new film is a good alternative to the silliness of "G.I. Joe".
The earth of the future is crime free, even trouble free because our planet has been inhabited by an alien race that occupies the bodies of humans.
A few escape that fate in the desert and even fewer like "Melanie" resists the intrusion.
That leaves two souls, human and alien, within one person which means she can fall in love with two guys and that provoked some giggles and awkward laughter at a screening but Saoirse sells this crazy concept.
That, plus her scenes with William Hurt as her very human uncle were enough to make this worth seeing.
Almost any movie by Tyler Perry is enjoyable, even one that has Kim Kardashian in the cast but the director doesn't care what critics think, and doesn't even show his films to us before they open because he knows fans will succumb to "temptation" no matter what.
"Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor" is all about infidelity but Tyler's fans are faithful, so even though his new movie is more risqué than the rest, it isn't going to tarnish his brand.
This is actually an old-fashioned morality tale about the dangers of straying too far from church and it is sure to delight Tyler Perry's core audience, many of whom are religious.
The film moves at a leisurely pace and Kim Kardashian is bad enough to be a distraction but, Sandy Kenyon smiled at one line: "What good is a diploma on the wall?" she asked a colleague "Without a designer label on your back?"
Her answer: "Nothing".
movie, movie review, entertainment, sandy kenyon
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's in Nassau County 9 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 4 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 3 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
4 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
3 min ago