42 - Sandy Kenyon's Review
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Jackie Robinson is the hero with a halo in the movie that takes its title from his number, 42.
The film is good enough, just not quite as good as this great man deserves.
Chadwick Boseman is believable as the black man chosen to break baseball's color line: hired as much for his character as for his playing ability, which earned him a spot in the hall of fame.
Harrison Ford is almost as credible as Branch Rickey, the owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers who gambled the time was right.
African-Americans had just helped America win World War II, but segregation was the law of much of this land and as a pioneer, one guy bore the scorn and hatred of so many.
For a modern moviegoer the overt racism of 1947 is startling.
The worst of what Robinson is shown enduring was left out of the trailers and clips provided. Repeated taunting by a racist manager is hard to watch, but necessary to understanding Robinson's unique legacy.
The movie shows the toll this took on Robinson. Some believe he died young as a result, but the man depicted here is a saint and the music suggests he's up there with the angels.
It's a portrait in black and white, but what's missing are the shades of grey.
The Robinson's marriage is depicted as absolutely perfect and the film has its share of cliché moments, but "42" amounts to a very engaging and entertaining look at a man who deserves not to be forgotten.
If you do go to that movie or any other this weekend, tweet me and tell me about them @sandykenyon7.
movie, movie review, entertainment, sandy kenyon
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement 24 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation 28 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled 57 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in...
24 min ago