Robin Roberts resting after return to the hospital
NEW YORK -- Robin Roberts spent two days in the hospital fighting off an infection as part of her recuperation from a rare blood disease, and is off "Good Morning America" this week to rest.
The ABC News morning show host said she felt ill last week while on vacation and was told to return to New York and go to the hospital. She's home now, and posted on Facebook on Thursday that she's feeling much better.
Roberts underwent a bone marrow transplant in September to treat MDS, a blood and bone marrow disease. She was off work for five months before returning to the top-rated network morning show on a part-time basis in February.
She's generally worked three days a week, occasionally four. At the beginning of her return, ABC kept a potential fill-in on call at the studio in case she was feeling too ill to continue, the network said.
Roberts said doctors told her that her setback did not occur because she was working or doing too much.
She said she planned to be back on the top-rated network morning show next week.
My heart continues to go out to the remarkably strong people of Boston. We stand by you now and always.
It saddens me that I haven't been able to join my colleagues in covering this important story.
Last week, in the middle of my Key West vacation, I began not to feel well. Nothing serious, just under the weather. I contacted my doctors and flew back to NYC. They felt it best to admit me into the hospital for a few days. Seems my young immune system needed a little boost to fight off "opportunistic infections".
My doctors assured me that this was NOT because I was working or doing too much, too soon. It's extremely common, post bone marrow transplant, to have complications. I'm blessed that mine have not been severe.
I'm feeling MUCH better, and will relax at home for the rest of the week. I'll be back on GMA next week...as my sweet momma would say: "Good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise!" Miss you and bless you..XO
robin roberts, entertainment
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees