Statue celebrates singer Ellie Greenwich
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- Filling the air with song, Ellie Greenwich has come back to the roots of her music.
You've heard them. You've sung along with them. The songs penned by Eleanor Louise Greenwich, the iconic song writer, singer, producer, again inspires through a sculpture being placed in the "Garden of Ellie" alongside Hofstra University's music school.
Elie's sister, Laura Weiner and her family commissioned the sculpture, knowing here is where the roots of Ellie's musical education run deep and here is where inspiration would also take hold.
Noted artist and sculptor peter homestead was asked to create the master piece. Further inspiration came from Ellie's music.
During a 50 year career, Ellie's song writing history produced many memorable songs sung by a myriad of artists. She and her husband, Jeff Barry, partnered on many hits. They were among the most successful of the famed brill building composers.
Seeing Ellie's inspiration lifted, carefully guided, and then lowered into place, her spirit will serve to guide.
music, ellie greenwich, entertainment, tim fleischer
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash 38 min ago
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon 37 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
38 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
33 min ago
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
37 min ago