Behind the scenes of 12 Years A Slave with star Chewitel Ejifor
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new movie arrives in theaters Friday to a chorus of praise and plenty of Oscar buzz.
"12 Years A Slave" is all the more compelling because it is based on a true story, a book written before the Civil War.
The real story of Solomon Northup, who spent "12 Years A Slave" is so painful, the actor who plays him so well wondered if he had the talent to do it.
He could and he did, and now there's already talk of an Oscar nomination for Chewitel Ejifor.
Michael Fassbender gives us evil in three dimensions; the most terrifying scenes are opposite newcomer Lupita Nyong'o playing a slave named "Patsy," who he rapes repeatedly.
Honoring this true tale was a mission that everyone embraced.
Brad Pitt played a small part in the film but a major role behind-the-scenes getting such tough subject matter to the big screen, and realizing the vision of director Steve McQueen.
"12 Years A Slave" is that rare film which is essential: you must see it. If I had my way, every American would watch this movie. If you saw "Django Unchained," that picture is a cartoon compared to the reality shown here.
movie, movie review, entertainment, sandy kenyon
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing 14 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday