New Marvel series coming to New York
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The "flawed heroes of Hell's Kitchen" will be coming to life in a new television series that will be filmed principally in the state and aired on Netflix.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo, The Walt Disney Company, Marvel and Netflix made the announcement on Wednesday.
The project will feature the four of Marvel's characters: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.
It's the largest film or television production project commitment in the state's history. It's going to start filming in the summer.
"To be in the world of super heroes is very cool," said Cuomo. The four new series are designed to build on what Marvel started with its blockbuster movies, and with "Agents of Shield".
But unlike that prime time series, the new shows will be made for Netflix and streamed on the Internet.
"This is another way to take Marvel to its fans all over the world through a smaller screen experience but one that we think will offer great access and the ability to tell great stories through character that wouldn't necessarily end up on the big screen right away," said Disney President and CEO Bob Iger.
Governor Cuomo's plan, like those in use by other states, uses tax credits to lure production here.
"Why is this deal so important? Well, It's all about jobs, jobs, jobs. It's all about generating the economy in the state of New York," said Cuomo.
Dozens of TV shows were shot in New York State last year along with more than 120 films. Total production was worth more than 2 billion dollars.
The news conference in the Times Square home of GMA was billed as a homecoming for Iger, who was born in Brookyn and Governor Cuomo from Queens, who also seemed at home in the Marvel universe, saying "Excelsior. Ever upwards."
Marvel and Netflix had announced a deal in November for the programming, which is slated to take the form of four series of 13 1-hour programs, and a miniseries. They're slated to start being available to watchers in 2015.
Disney owns WABC-TV in New York.
new york news, new york city news, disney, marvel, entertainment, sandy kenyon
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest 24 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 2 min ago
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Demolition underway after NJ fire;...
2 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to...
24 min ago
WABC Entertainment Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos