Relief for women with knee surgery
(New York-WABC, May 15, 2006) (WABC) -- Having trouble with your knees? Pain walking? Now there's a treatment geared just for women.
Tilly Dutta walks without pain now, despite having two artificial knees.
Tilly Dutta, Knee Replacement Patient: "I had one knee done two yeas ago ... and then the second one started giving me problem."
For women like Tilly, success at joint replacement surgery is critical. One company thinks their device will give better results for women. They've gotten FDA approval for what they call a gender-specific replacement joint for women, who have a different anatomy than do men.
Dr. Steven Haas, Hospital for Special Surgery: "The majority of patients getting these are are females so you have to size the implants appropriately for that group of patients."
Compared to these other implants, the new knee device is said to fit women better and has changes in other dimensions to more naturally mimic a woman's stride. Doctor Haas says most manufacturers have also addressed the issue of the differences between men's and women's knees.
Dr. Steven Haas: "The smaller sized implants current designs are based on a woman's anatomy. The larger sized implants are based on male anatomy."
There are nine to ten sizes now available from each maker.
With modern knee replacement, about five to 10 percent of patients have problems after surgery: achiness going down steps, stiffness. Interestingly, the same number of women as men have those problems.
The company says they have data showing women do have more pain post-op. Is this new thing better? Time will tell. One surgeon who consults for the maker said a minimum of two years is needed to assess results. The company is spending $8 million on direct-to-consumer marketing of the new knee.
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 41 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos