Repairing Spinal Fractures
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Twenty-five percent of postmenopausal women develop spinal fractures, often brought on by osteoporosis. If untreated, it can cause chronic, debilitating back pain. Yet many women don't realize there's a way to get fast relief.
Dr. Jay Adlersberg is On Call with more.
It's the calcium, not the taste Nora Ripper craves. At age 83 her bones are soft and very weak. She discovered how weak when she slipped on a rock and fell on the street.
"I felt like my lower back and my waistline in back is going to break in half," Ripper recalls.
It didn't take long for Marcel Maya, M.D., an interventional neuroradiologist at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, to find the problem. It was a fractured vertebrae of the spine & a common result of osteoporosis.
"Even picking up a small object from the floor, getting in and out of the car, just getting out of bed they can have these fractures," Dr. Maya explains.
Until recently patients suffered on bed rest for sometimes months while the break healed.
Ripper chose a quicker route called vertebroplasty. Under local anesthesia, doctors guide a needle through a small incision in the back. They then inject acrylic bone cement, stabilizing the collapsed vertebrae.
"What that does is form a cast inside the spine so the fracture no longer moves and that prevents pain," Dr. Maya said.
Ripper was back shopping two weeks later and is pain-free.
Her internal cast should provide a permanent fix for that bone, but the rest of her spine is still weak so Ripper has to make a few changes of her own, like wearing lower heels and slowing down her pace.
Dr. Maya says the procedure takes about 30 minutes and relieves pain in more than 90 percent of patients.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Marcel Maya, MD
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center
Los Angeles, CA
PHONE: (310) 423-2468
Click here for more New York and Tri-State News
health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- Missing plane may have turned back 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 47 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 1 min ago
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 6 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
24 min ago