Baby home after heart transplant
BRONX (WABC) -- A 6-month-old boy is a medical first in the Bronx. Three weeks ago, his family rushed him to the hospital. And Thursday, he went back home with a new heart.
Adrian Flores went home with his mom and dad. He was very, very sick, but was able to stay at the Montefore Children's Hospital for treatment because the hospital was recently approved to perform heart transplants on children. And the baby is alive because of a new heart.
Flores was more interested in his fist than he was in the dozen or so photographers documenting his release from the hospital. Just 3 weeks ago, his heart was failing.
"He was placed on a list, and thanks to a wonderful donor, Adrian got his heart almost two weeks ago," Dr. Daphne Hsu said.
It was a delicate surgery, with another special challenge. The heart was from a child twice Adrian's size.
"So in this situation, we're obviously extraordinarily grateful to the donor," Dr. Samuel Weinstein said. "And the challenge to the doctors is to make something that is twice as big as it should, fit."
And they did. Adrian had been on a waiting list for just six days. And his parents were particularly grateful to that donor family.
"I really thank the donor, God, hospital doctors," dad Juan Carlos Flores said. "We have our son back. That's basically the most important thing."
No parent would disagree.
Last year in the U.S., 99 babies under the age of 1 got a heart transplant, thanks to the very difficult and generous decisions made by some grieving parents.
Adrian is not out of the woods yet. Theres is a possibility of rejection and infection, but a devoted staff and devoted parents give him very good odds.
WEB PRODUCED BY: Bill King
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 57 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 55 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos