New guidelines for pregnancy weight gain
WASHINGTON -- New guidelines are setting how much weight women should gain during pregnancy - surprisingly little if they're already overweight or obese when they conceive.
The most important message: Get to a healthy weight before you conceive, say the Institute of Medicine's guidelines, the first national recommendations on pregnancy weight since 1990. It's healthiest for the mother - less chance of pregnancy-related high blood pressure or diabetes, or the need for a C-section - and it's best for the baby, too. Babies born to overweight mothers have a greater risk of premature birth and becoming overweight themselves, among other concerns.
That's a tall order, considering that about 55 percent of women of childbearing age are overweight and preconception care isn't that common.
Once a woman's pregnant, the guidelines issued Thursday aren't too different from what obstetricians already recommend - but they're not easy, considering about half of women fail to follow them today.
Among the advice: -A normal-weight woman, as measured by BMI or body mass index, should gain between 25 and 35 pounds during pregnancy. A normal BMI, a measure of weight for height, is between 18.5 and 24.9.
-An overweight woman - BMI 25 to 29.9 - should gain 15 to 25 pounds during pregnancy.
SIGN UP FOR OUR HEALTH NEWSLETTER
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 21 min ago
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up 20 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
21 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast...
20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
17 min ago