Common bacteria cause ulcers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Most people think stress is the cause of ulcers, but that is not always the case. Common bacteria that cause the bloating, pain and nausea associated with ulcers could actually be stomach dyspepsia.
The infection is so common, doctors at the Mayo Clinic say one in five people have it. The good news is it's easy to treat.
Kirk Thompson thought his stomach problems were caused by the stress of coaching.
"I must be a glutton for punishment. It gives me a lot of headaches a lot of stress. Coaching is stressful. But i really like working with the kids," said Thompson.
It turns out that Thompson's symptoms were really caused by a bacteria called H. Pylori.
Nicholas Talley, M.D. of the Mayo Clinic said, "It's a bacteria that you acquire as a child and once you acquire the bacteria, it lives with you until you pass away- Its life-long companion."
H. Pylori cause inflammation in the stomach. The inflammation can cause ulcers, which could lead to bleeding and an increased risk of stomach cancer. It is a small risk, but a real one.
According to Dr. Talley, treatment with antibiotics and other medications can be effective for four out of five people who have the bacteria.
After treatment, Thompson's symptoms aren't completely gone, but he says they're much better. Now he can concentrate on his team instead of his stomach.
There is one drawback of H. Pylori treatment. Some people may experience heartburn afterwards. If so, talk to your health care provider about getting treatment for that symptom.
health alert, health news, ken rosato
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 2 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- March Madness-style bracket rates high school girls
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos