A possible breast cancer warning sign
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Colleen Latray and her family all take an active role in the foundation that Latray started two years ago. Not too long before, Latray was surprised by her image in the mirror.
"I raised my arm and I noticed an indentation all underneath my breast, but immediately I did not think breast cancer," said Latray.
But Latray had breast cancer, and the indentation in the skin under her breast was the tipoff. They were dimples formed as the growing cancer pulls on tiny ligaments connecting it to the skin.
"The way that can happen is by having a tumor that is close to the skin, or having one that is larger and occupying space and pull it that way," said Dr. Alexandra Heerdt of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
Doctors also feel dimpling may come from blocked lymph nodes causing excess fluid in the breast.
Your doctor may order a mammogram to find the reason for the dimpling. It may not be a cancer. Benign things such as large cysts may cause dimpling.
Women themselves can help by examining the breasts once a month, says Dr. Heerdt. Women should undress to the waist, raise the arms to stretch the skin, and then with hands on hips, pull in the arms to contract the chest muscles.
"That may then cause some subtle changes in the skin," said Dr. Heerdt.
After breast surgery, chemo and radiation, Latray started the Dimple Awareness Foundation to help women save their own lives. Their motto- dimples belong on golf balls, not women.
"If they know not only a lump but a dimple could be a sign and they get detected early, then that may help with survival," said Latray.
Find more information at www.dimplesawarenessfoundation.org.
breast cancer, women's health, health news, dr. jay adlersberg
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest 40 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 47 min ago
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party 42 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid...
40 min ago
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos